Making an impact can look like many different things: investing, educating, raising awareness. Clean Water is a cause FLIT Invest is passionate about and we know you are too. Whilst for many areas of access to water and sanitation there are intergovernmental responsibilities largely determining our future, there are still many ways you can make a difference. Here is our short-list of individual actions you can engage in to contribute towards Clean Water.
- Educate yourself and others on the water crisis. Read up on the water crisis and the nuances in this global problem. Share your knowledge with others and encourage your friends and family to take water scarcity seriously.
- Calculate your water footprint and reduce your water waste. Calculating your water footprint will give you an understanding of the role water plays in your life. You can see how you compare to the average person and learn what you can do to reduce your water waste in your everyday life.
- Ditch fast fashion. The fashion industry is the 4th most polluting industry contributing to about 20% of industrial wastewater. You can take action by donating your clothes, thrifting, upcycling your clothing, handing down your clothing to family and friends, and investing in timeless clothing rather than short trends. Avoid notorious fast fashion brands listed here. To fully understand the link between water and fashion click here.
- Reduce the meat in your diet or go vegetarian/vegan. It takes more than 2,400 gallons of water to produce just 1 pound of meat. Sustainable diets have a greater impact than you may think – you can save more water by not eating a pound of meat than you can by not showering for six months! To make an impact, you can replace your protein intake with tofu, nuts, beans, quinoa, Beyond Meat, and more.
- Donate, support, or volunteer for a nonprofit organization advocating for change. Check out for example our partner NGO Thirst Project. Clean water and access to sanitation is an issue across the globe and support is needed beyond borders to achieve universal access.
- Champion for-profit companies that are tackling the water crisis. Buy their products or use their services, work for them, and invest in them.
Footnote 1: Content is for informational and educational purposes only. Any views, strategies or products discussed may not be appropriate for all individuals and are subject to risks. Investors may get back less than they invested, and past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results. The information contained herein should not be construed as, and may not be used in connection with, an offer to sell, or a solicitation of an offer to buy or hold, an interest in any security or investment product. Investors should carefully consider the investment objectives and risks as well as charges and expenses of a mutual fund or ETF before investing.